5G-Xcast – Broadcast and Multicast Communication Enablers For the Fifth Generation of Wireless Systems
5G-Xcast is the first 5G PPP project to focus on the holistic implementation of multicast/broadcast as a key technology element in 5G systems in addition and as a complement to unicast. 5G-Xcast technologies are fundamental to progress towards a converged 5G infrastructure for fixed and mobile accesses, including terrestrial broadcast. The project takes a holistic approach to harmonize the media delivery among the three considered types of networks and to provide an optimised and seamless media user experience. Five demonstrations are developed:
- “Converged, autonomous MooD in fixed/mobile networks” shows content prepared for unicast distribution being distributed over both fixed and mobile networks with dynamic switching between multicast/broadcast and unicast delivery as the audience size changes. The live and unmodified BT Sport commercial service is integrated using the 5G-Xcast content distribution framework.
- “Forecaster5G: Object-based broadcasting”. Content is produced as a set of discrete media objects to be rendered by the end device. Common objects are transmitted using the Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over IP Multicast (DASM) system while personalised content is received via unicast.
- “Multimedia Public Warning” uses dynamic spectrum management to send public warning multimedia alerts to the user equipment.
- “Reliable Multicast Delivery in 5G Networks” shows the benefits of using multicast for delivering popular content regarding resource consumption, spectrum efficiency, QoE while highlighting the effects of using application-layer methods, such as DASH streaming and multilink delivery.
- “Hybrid Broadcast Service with Multi-Link” shows the benefits of splitting and combining content from different networks via LTE and Wi-Fi interfaces, with a seamless switch between them and the ability to increase aggregated throughput via Multi-Link.
The envisaged diversity of services, use cases, and applications to be supported by 5G requires a flexible, adaptable, and programmable mobile network architecture. 5G-PPP Phase 1 projects addressed the baseline design of such an architecture at a conceptual level. In particular, the concept of network slicing, which builds on the capabilities of SDN, network function virtualisation (NFV), access network orchestration, and analytics, allows to logically sectorise the network for dedicated services, applications, or vertical industries. Each of these sectors may have different requirements in terms of quality and performance requirements, but multiple slices share the same physical and virtualised infrastructure.
The goal of 5G-MoNArch as a Phase 2 project is thus to bring this architecture design to practice through two innovative testbeds: the Hamburg Smart Sea Port and Turin Touristic City. The Smart Sea Port thereby represents an industrial environment where the focus is on highly resilient and secure communication for applications such as logistics traffic control through a connected traffic light, environmental pollution control through ship-based mobile sensors, and a CCTV installation for access gate super-vision. For the Touristic City, representing a typical use case for future (multi-)media and entertainment services, mobile broadband services including high-definition video streaming and interactive augmented reality applications will be implemented, that allow visitors of the Palazzo Madama museum in Turin a completely new experience. Both testbeds use on-site mobile network and mobile terminal installations implementing network slicing-enabled protocol stacks.
A-WEAR EJD – A network for dynamic wearable applications with privacy constraints
A-WEAR is a four year European Joint Doctorate bringing together five beneficiaries and 12 partner organizations from Finland, Czech republic, Italy, Romania, and Spain, with the aim of educating, supervising, and training 15 young ambitious and creative researchers to face the future challenges in smart wearables, wireless communications & computing and enhance their career prospects in a multi-sector cross-country environment.
The market of wearables is expected to grow exponentially and the future wearables are likely to be heterogeneous. They will co-operate in a decentralized manner and will be able to reach various interconnected software and applications. Motivated by the opportunities that next-generation wearable intelligence is expected to provide, the mission of A-WEAR is to cross-disciplinarily create new architectures, open-source software and frameworks for dynamic wearable ecosystems, including communications, with distributed localization and privacy constraints.
A-WEAR is funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 throught the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Innovative Training Networks call, under the Grant Agreement no 813278.
EuCNC 2020 is the 29th edition of a successful series of a conference in telecommunications, sponsored by the IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc) and the European Association for Signal Processing (EURASIP), and supported by the European Commission. The conference focuses on various aspects of 5G communications systems and networks, including cloud and virtualisation solutions, management technologies, and vertical application areas, and looking already into Beyond 5G matters. It targets to bring together researchers from all over the world to present the latest research results, and it is one of the main venues for demonstrating the results of research projects, especially from R&D programmes co-financed by the European Commission.
5G-MEDIA – Dynamic 5G Network Capabilities to Boost the Media Industry
5G-MEDIA is an Innovation Project seeking to boost applications in the Media Industry by exploiting disruptive 5G network capabilities.
The objectives are:
- To enhance the Quality of User Experience while optimizing the resources required from the 5G network. Apply Software and Network Virtualization principles to the design and operation of highly demanding media services.
- To hide the complexity of managing the full lifecycle of media applications. Make available a DevOps Toolbox to create and deploy media applications on underlying 5G infrastructure.
- To validate the outcomes in real-case scenarios crucial to the multimedia industry. Address the requirements posed by key use cases through the capabilities provided by the project.
5G-MEDIA capitalizes and extends the outcomes and insights from the 5G PPP flagship.
The initiative sets out an ambitious business impact introducing the concept of Streaming- as-a-Service. Unleash capabilities to transmit high-quality video ANYWHERE, consume content ANYTIME and adapt the quality to ANY DEVICE.
Leverage Open Innovation. The 5G-MEDIA platform and network services are based on open source technology and will be available to third parties.
5G ESSENCE – Embedded Network Services for 5G Experiences
5G ESSENCE fuels the drivers and removes the barriers in the fast growing Small Cell (SC) market by using Edge Cloud computing and Small Cell-as-a-Service. It provides a highly flexible/scalable platform, to support new business models.
Three demos showcase the system:
- 5G Edge network broadcasting services for a stadium: leveraging the benefits of SC virtualisation and radio resource abstraction and optimising network embedded cloud, it is possible to ease the coverage and capacity pressure on the multimedia infrastructure and increase security (content remains local).
- Enhanced Video Services at the Edge DC: An application leverages the Multi-Access Edge Computing platform hosted in the Edge DC, which provides a virtualized layer and allows the high processing of content at the network edge. It offers video transcoding capability and Context-Aware and Location-Aware mechanisms, enabling launching of new services.
- Real Time Transcoding & Video Content Delivery at the Edge DC: A low-weight adaptation of our platform for the next generation of In-Flight Entertainment and Connectivity to multicast over Wi-Fi, slice the RAN and transcode/stream on-board live recorded videos to passengers’ personal devices. We target realistic scenarios, namely video transcoding of live recorded videos on-board, efficient multicast and RAN slicing.
5GTANGO – 5G Development and validation platform for global industry-specific network services and Apps
5GTANGO puts forth the flexible programmability of 5G networks with i) a NFV-enabled Service Development Kit (SDK), ii) a Store platform with advanced validation and verification mechanisms for VNFs/Network Services qualification (including 3rd party contributions), and iii) a modular Service Platform with an innovative orchestrator in order to bridge the gap between business needs and network operational management systems.
Three live demos are presented:
- The communications demo shows all the steps needed to deploy a collaboration system for real-time communications over 5GTANGO NFV Platform. This includes the setup of multiple Network Slices over SONATA NFV Service Platform.
- The immersive media demo showcases how 5G networks will enhance the experience of end users regarding media services by improving their immersiveness into multiple 360º and non-360º video streams and even the integration of their social media channels.
- The smart-factory pilot focuses on three use cases related to industry, each highlighting different aspects and benefits introduced by the use of 5GTANGO.
5GCity – A Distributed Cloud & Radio Platform for 5G Neutral Hosts
The goal with 5GCity demonstrations at EuCNC2019 is to showcase how easy is to transform city infrastructures in 5G Neutral Hosts and how powerful and flexible the 5G service design and lifecycle management is with 5GCity platform.
We plan to show the 1st complete release of 5GCity platform and SDK, integrated and in support of media use cases in a near real-life scenario. 5GCity will present four demos at the booth, consisting of outdoor and indoor activities around the conference center, distributed between the booth and outside the convention building, and with different media use cases running on heterogeneous slices on the shared 3-tier infrastructure managed by our platform:
- 5GCity SDK + Neutral Host Platform:
- demonstrates how 5GCity SDK facilitates creation, packaging & on boarding of network services;
- shows how the 5GCity neutral host platform enables an ICT infrastructure owner to slice and lease its infrastructure to 3rd parties (e.g. MVNO).
- Video Acquisition & Production: includes acquisition of live high-quality multiple videos from the event and streaming through 5GCity platform.
- Augmented Reality service: offers immersive experiences with distribution of UHD contents. The demo leverages on 5G orchestration to offer immersive experience to end-user (e.g., tourists) who can see a reconstruction of antique city buildings and towers in real-time with superimposed via holographic models.
- Mobile Backpack Transmission: highlights how high bandwidth connection over a dedicated network slice can enhance live transmissions from a mobile backpack. In this case we use acquisition, processing, and streaming/broadcasting of live HD videos from a professional mobile TV camera in the outdoor demo area of the conference site for typical journalist activities; connected to a TV production and streaming service station installed in the booth.
5G EVE – 5G European Validation Platform for Extensive Trials
5G EVE is an EU 5G infrastructure project, which develops and provides an end-to-end facility for 5G trials by verticals aiming to validate 5G PPP Key Performance Indicators. These KPIs include throughput, latency, reliability, and impact on the required transport capacity.
The 5G EVE facility will interconnect site facilities located in four European countries – France, Greece, Italy and Spain. The 5G EVE demo provides an overview on the four 5G EVE site facilities and their current implementation status. The demo focuses on the core technological activities of 5G EVE, which mainly include enabling verticals to validate 5G PPP KPIs.
The 5G EVE demo includes the live demonstration of the following use cases:
- A combined demonstration of Smart City and Smart Energy verticals empowered by an Intent Based mechanism. The first showcasing the exchange of sensor data and actions over a 5G slice, while data generated by the sensors will be processed by a cloud-based platform and the latter showcasing a small-scale representation of a distributed smart grid with ultra-fast, ultra-reliable recovery capabilities.
- The Media & Entertainment demonstration allows the user to select a specific TV channel from a mobile device. For the AGV use-case, the demonstration consists of the live retransmission from the 5TONIC labs where real AGVs will be operating.
In addition to the live demonstrations, two videos show the current deployment in a real Smart City environment in Turin, including sensors and other infrastructures that allow the smooth integration of applications by verticals, and of a 360° video use case based on Open Source 4G RAN and CORE OAI and NR 5G OAI.
Incorporated in Denmark, and with offices in The Netherlands, Japan, USA, UK and India, River Publishers is active in many areas of Science and Technology, and we publish peer reviewed research books and journals in these fields.
We pride ourselves by being flexible in our approach towards publishing and copyrights, internationally oriented, author and client friendly, and our content is indexed in leading databases such as the Web of Science Book Citation Index and Scopus.
We welcome new book proposals on innovative research, and invite readers to visit our portfolio of regular and Open Access books and journals at: www.RiverPublishers.com
SaT5G – Satellite and Terrestrial network for 5G
The envisaged demos are:
- Live OTA demo where the 5G core network at University of Surrey’s 5GIC is connected to a 5G RAN and 5G UE’s, via satellite backhaul. The CPE equipment at 5GIC is connected via VPN to the EuCNC booth. The demo incorporates SDN/NFV and MEC capabilities to prove integration with a 5G core network. It implements the virtualized core network functions, the SDN/NFV/OSM management systems, and associated testbed elements. The datacentre also hosts the content delivery servers and routers used in the demonstration. The MEC-enabled platform has integrated CDN provided to demonstrate edge content delivery using caching and multicast ABR, this part of the demo is joint SaT5G and 5G-XCAST.
- Demo of local access for content delivery from TNO, where UPF located at MEC node is established to backhaul (via satellite and via terrestrial) links, and dynamically adjusts them, depending on user profile and current state of links.
- Video demo of 5G integration into airline passenger service applications. It showcases the NFV-ready platform managed by an OSM orchestrator to deploy satellite/terrestrial network services using emulated MEO satellite connection.
- Video demo about 5G new radio (NR) over satellite links, showing modifications needed in the uplink random access process to cope with the satellite delays.
PriMO-5G – Virtual Presence in Moving Objects through 5G
PriMO-5G is an EU-KR collaboration project aiming to demonstrate an end-to-end 5G system providing immersive video services for moving objects. The PriMO-5G project will present three demos under the thematic title of “Optimal 5G mobile network for Firefighting with UAVs”.
The first demo will be exhibit the usage of 5G Core (5GC) integrated with Network Slicing and MEC to provide ultra-reliable communications for UAV management and media delivery during firefighting situations. In this demo a UAV with video camera and USB dongle is connected to LTE eNB and CMC 5GC to stream video uplink. The 5GC uses eMBMS to broadcast the video downlink from the UAV to 4 or 5 user equipment (UEs) with eMBMS middleware.
The second demo will exhibit the concept of Optimal Routing and how it provides a solution that allows low latency UE-server or UE-UE communication, while keeping service and session continuity (IP address preservation). The 3GPP defined 5GC architecture provides a mechanism to have IP address preservation at mobility events. However, this implies that the IP address gets associated with a User Plane Function (UPF) that cannot be changed. This is a disadvantage for edge use cases, where low latency requires that the UPF is close to the UEs. Other solutions allow to change the UPF, but without IP address preservation.
The third demo will show the possibility of near-zero latency mission involvement (in a firefighting scenario) by introducing 5G-enabled immersive video streaming. One of the enabling factors, which we will show, is the leveraging of different computing and communicating resources provided by the overall system, e.g. multi-tiered drones, MEC, and a server.
World’s First 5G Stand-Alone Live Content Production in the RTVE regional news on Wednesday 19th of June from 2:00 to 2:30 p.m. The HD content captured by the camera will be sent via RTMP streaming to the territorial centers of RTVE Castilla La Mancha in Toledo and RTVE Comunitat Valenciana in Paterna through a dedicated 5G Stand Alone network slice. Territorial center will next distribute the video through the DTT and satellite RF channels in order to be received and watched on several screens in Palacio de Congresos including one located in RTVE stand.
EuWireless & 5Genesis
The aim of EuWireless is to design viable solutions for sharing parts of the mobile network with the research community in order to design a pan-European mobile network for research. Bearing this in mind, the project studies the technical, legal and economic solutions that encourage mobile network providers to share their infrastructures with universities, research centres and small businesses. The objective of 5Genesis is to create a common architecture and set of tools to deploy five experimental platforms for automatic validation of the KPIs defined by 5G PPP, in both controlled set-ups and large-scale events.
The booth will show demos of the main entry points of both projects (portals) for remote creation and use of specific slices in mobile networks. The EuWireless demo includes the deployment through GÉANT Testbeds Service of an LTE slice to test C-V2X applications. The 5Genesis demo will show how to define an experiment for testing KPIs, how the 5GENESIS coordination framework configures and controls the testbed to deploy the slices, automate the execution of the experiment, collect the measurements and finally compute the KPIs.
5G-VINNI and 5GINFIRE, 5G Infrastructures for verticals innovation
5G-VINNI and 5GINFIRE demonstrate 5G experimentation and innovation environments for vertical applications with practical deployments and offerings of state-of-the-art experimentation tools.
- 5G-VINNI testing framework consisting of a cloud-based test automation environment providing a unique solutions and experience to the customers, such as testing operators, network engineers, or vertical developers through a Testing as a Service offering. The demonstration showcases the automation capabilities for NFVI and 5G network testing in the 5G-VINNI project.
- End-to-end service orchestration capabilities of 5G-VINNI that are being deployed and will be used to configure network slices across several main facility sites of 5G-VINNI.
- 5GINFIRE project achievements by through concrete experiments and infrastructures implemented and integrated within the project’s experimental environment.
- Set of tools for experimentation developed and integrated into the 5GINFIRE infrastructure, to enable wide experimentation in the 5G context.
- Opportunity for hands-on experience for simple experiment deployments and tests over the available infrastructure using the existing experimentation tools and access portal.
- Customer service centre for future customers that consider using the 5G-VINNI and/or 5GINFIRE infrastructures as well as access and use opportunities.
The Universitary Institute of Telecommunications and Multimedia Applications (iTEAM) is a research centre integrated in the Polytechnic City of Innovation, the new scientific park located at the Universitat Politècnica de València (UPV). The iTEAM performs its R&D activities in the field of IST. The iTEAM is integrated by 9 research groups, joining more than 140 researchers, who cover all the scientific areas related to the Telecommunication Engineering field. The Mobile Communications Group of the iTEAM Institute is the one in charge of the organization of the booth, and is recognized as the biggest university group in Spain, and one of the most prominent in Europe, dedicated to the design of mobile and wireless communication systems. iTEAM has a strong track of records of industry collaboration and participation in European research projects. Currently it is participating in five H2020 projects, being coordinator of two of them, 5G-XCAST and WAVECOMBE.
In the iTEAM booth a real car tele-driving experience over a 5G standalone network is shown. In a small circuit outside the congress centre, a real car connected to 5G is managed remotely from the iTEAM booth. A subjective camera on the car is seen from the remote “cockpit”, and of course the system has very low latency. In parallel, iTEAM shows its well-known simulation platform, that is featured with autonomous cars, assess legacy and 5G wireless technologies performance, and allows the end-to-end emulation of video experience over real world scenarios. Finally, focusing on the tele-driving use case, latency can be controlled to check its impact over user experience. Do not miss the opportunity to dig into the future of connected cars and discuss with some of the most reputed experts in the iTEAM booth.
The objective of the demo is to show the NRG-5 solution that it is tailored to make the deployment, operation and management of existing and new 5G communications including energy infrastructures (in the context of the Smart Energy-as-a-Service) safer, more secure, natural and resilient from an operational and financial point of view.
NRG-5 will research towards the realization of decentralized, communication demanding services such as AMI as a Service (AMIaaS), Dispatchable Demand Response as a Service (DDraaS), and Predictive Maintenance as a Service (PMaaS). All these services are realized as closed-loop applications, integrating specific logic applications with complex forwarding graphs of collaborating utility-specific VNFs.
The demo will show the intermediate outcomes of the project in three showcases:
- a Low Cost PMU using advanced wireless communication testbed offered by the Universidad de Malaga and Keysight Technologies (AMIaaS).
- a virtual energy function capable of avoiding voltage limit violations caused by unbalance between production and consumption in micro-grid (DDraaS) and finally.
- the image detection functionalities of the Predictive Maintenance as a service Use Case (PMaaS).
Clear5G is a European project which aims to investigate and demonstrate some of the key enablers necessary to support massive mMTC and URLLC services in the Factories-of-the-Future (FoF) environments. Clear5G provides several enhancements to current available wireless technologies in order to meet the strict requirements of the FoF scenarios. These enhancements are realised in terms of extra functionalities of wireless technologies, which are designed, implemented and evaluated on the available testbeds of the project.
The demonstration aims at presenting the feasibility of the Clear5G solutions and showcasing the estimated gains from their adoption in industrial environments. In the PHY layer, the demo will demonstrate how to enable massive connectivity over an increasingly congested spectrum by using SCMA. In the MAC layer, the demo will showcase the performance evaluation of MAC protocol with NOMA and OMA. In the network, the demo will showcase the project advancements in topics including: close loop controlled AGV, UE relaying in a factory environment, packet duplication and multi-connectivity, network data analytics for supporting FoF applications.
The focus of the 5G-MoNArch project is on developing a flexible, adaptive, and programmable mobile network architecture for 5G, and to bring these concepts to practical implementation. The basic architecture concepts such as network slicing and user-/control-plane separation are completed and enhanced with a number of vertical use case-driven innovations, e.g., a cloud-enabled network protocol stack, inter-slice control and management, resource-elastic network functions and resilient and secure network functions. These innovations support the requirements of two use cases, which are worked out, namely, network slicing for industrial resilient and secure applications, and network slicing for resource elastic media & entertainment use cases.
5G-MoNArch implements these two use cases into dedicated real-world testbeds: The Hamburg Smart Sea Port representing industrial applications, and the Turin Touristic City representing media & entertainment use cases. The demonstrator, posters and video material presented at the exhibition provide an insight to the ongoing research work of 5G-MoNArch, and intermediate results from the project’s requirements and development phases. This material shall leverage discussions with visitors from industry and academia, showcase the advances of the underlying technical concepts, and enable to gather further feedback on the project’s work an approach.
NGPaaS – Next Generation Platform as a Service
We showcase the capability of NGPaaS to efficiently provision in only a few minutes resilient 5G end-to-end network connectivity in a public safety scenario.
112 call is received. The control centre staff locate the emergency situation and dispatch first responders. While the responders are on route, the control centre deploys a mission-critical network slice for a small-scale deployment, primarily using radio + cloud resources on the first responders’ vehicle.
The first-responders arrive on-site, and their person-to-person and person-to-local-command-centre services are immediately supported using the local 5G infrastructure.
A drone is deployed to real-time stream high-def video to the local command centre monitor on the vehicle. A specific video transcoder VNF is deployed by 5G PaaS into the network slice to support the video service.
In terms of technology innovations, we are demonstrating a Cloud native container-based core and RAN service components instantiated on two telco-grade Kubernetes orchestrators. The Reusable Functional Block (RFB) Description and Composition Languages Design, Deploy and Direct (RDCL 3D) tool enables the flexible and the high-speed deployments. The demonstration integrates the Dev-for-Operations developed by the project enabling the upgrade of the AMF core function to another version delivered by the vendor.
In addition to the life demo, a video-based demo demonstrating a CORD-based Telco PaaS with VNFaaS capabilities, such as wholesale Layer 2 Ethernet connectivity sold to Service Providers (SPs) to connect their end customers will be shown.
Nokia Bell Labs
Mobile operators have already started their 5G network deployment and next generation user terminals commercial release is planned for the upcoming months. Knowing the future network system performance and capabilities seem to be key in order to have proper planning strategies. In this OPAL5G project Nokia Bell Labs presents some field test trials for the latest release of 4G, which have lots of similarities with the forthcoming mobile broadband standard. Results for urban drive tests are presented too. We also bring some pathloss simulation based on modern channel models that matches the results obtained in the real scenarios. Error is measured to have some insights about the utility and accuracy of the pathloss models when comparison with specific scenarios is made. Now the work is focused on the new 5G network and concluding remarks are proposed.
Casa Systems will demonstrate the functionality of a self-contained Cloud Edge Virtualized Network. The demonstration will use our centralized RAN controller, our Apex Small Cells and our Axyom 4G/5G Core software platform to show an end to end virtualized network function passing video. Casa System’s VNFs are optimized for a virtual compute environment and Axyom VNFs can scale both horizontally and vertically and provide security, aggregation and management of micro-services that are optimized to be used across both mobile and fixed networks.
For the demo architecture I have attached a diagram of a demonstration that is a facial recognition demonstration done recently at MWC. Instead of the facial recognition application there will be video data transmitted. I will verify the diagram.
Accelerate Innovation. Accelerate Discovery.
National Instruments (NI) software defined radio (SDR) hardware and software solutions drive productivity, shorten time to results, and empower engineers, scientists, and researchers to design next-generation wireless technologies. The depth of the NI SDR offering is unrivaled as shown by the proven researcher success globally and the community of accessible IP to accelerate research efforts. Scaling from small to massive, NI SDR tools are used for a wide variety of applications including spectrum monitoring, signals intelligence, military communications, radar, and communications research such 5G research.
Spirent Communications is a global leader with deep expertise and decades of experience in testing, assurance, analytics and security, serving developers, service providers, and enterprise networks. We help bring clarity to increasingly complex technological and business challenges. Spirent’s customers have made a promise to their customers to deliver superior performance. Spirent assures that those promises are fulfilled.
With the industry’s broadest set of 5G Test and Assurance solutions, Spirent helps service providers and application developers simplify 5G by reducing the complexity and economics of testing, verifying, and delivering 5G; accelerate 5G by expediting 5G innovation (R&D) and time-to-market of new services; and assure 5G operationally so it delivers new revenues, savings, and customer experiences.
At EuCNC, Spirent will be demonstrating a digital twin – the emulation of an 5G standalone core network and the concept of network slicing. This provides researchers and developers with a development environment to create and refine new applications to utilize 5G technologies.
Ellipz Smart Solutions
The visible light spectrum must play a pivotal role in the 5G revolution. Optical morse code has entered the numeric age with LED light sources. Since electricity hardwire infrastructure is already installed to reach every user, and since light bulbs are everywhere in houses, offices and city streets, we domesticate this installed base to move forward with wireless data transfer. Our products and network modernization solutions offer unmatched consistency in an environment challenged by increasing radio frequency interference issues or bandwidth saturation.
Using visible light to measure, detect, locate, or communicate has its virtues: it is precise, fast, and reliable. It is also cost effective and energy saving. Our wireless technical solutions allow to increase collection and transfer of information without the collateral increase in radio frequency exposure.
We believe smart should reconcile performance with versatility and sobriety. LED bulbs can provide light and transfer data at the same time. As smart cities invent their optimal infrastructure, as our smart phones accumulate functionalities to intertwine services, as the internet of things redesign technologic capabilities, wireless connectivity becomes a pivotal enabler. Visible light as communication infrastructure can accelerate and improve our technologic transformation.
Axión, wholesale telecommunications operator, has 20 years of experience neutrally managing its infrastructures nationwide, offering space for different telecommunications operators and broadcasting radio and television signals.
The capabilities acquired during this time by telemanagement of more than 700 centers and 7000 equipment from its own plant, allows it to provide IoT and security solutions for Smart Cities, adapted to the client’s needs, like management of video surveillance, air conditioning control, counting and monitoring the level of occupancy… Providing with unified platforms and open and portable solutions for the different connectivity technologies that are emerging in the world of IoT.
In this event, Axión has prepared a demonstration of its Traxión service, assembling a solution that will perform the capacity control to the Palacio de Congresos Conference Center with a platform that will manage the data received.
Traxión is an automatic system for inflow and level of occupancy control, based on non-intrusive feedback sensors via IP cameras with integrated video analytics, connected to software that manages and stores the data, generates alarms and adapts the information to the formats required for real-time transfer to an advanced administration system or multi-service platform.
Rohde & Schwarz
The customer’s quality of experience (QoE) with a mobile device is a major measure for manufacturers. Ensuring coexistence and interference-free operation of all integrated wireless standards is a challenge from the initial design to the production of mobile devices. Mobile device test and measurement solutions from Rohde & Schwarz cover every aspect of cellular mobile radio, wireless connectivity and navigation standards – from R&D to conformance and production testing.
Network and service performance are critical to achieving optimal quality of experience (QoE) and quality of service (QoS). But it is regular testing and continuous optimization that are the key to ensuring customer satisfaction and securing network investments. Mobile network testing solutions from Rohde & Schwarz let you reconcile your current and future dilemmas. Our extensive and diverse product portfolio provides all the software, hardware and resources you need to deliver better services with higher quality for customers while enabling suppliers to increase the value of their networks and products.
COST – European Cooperation in Science and Technology
The European Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST) is an EU-funded programme that enables researchers and innovators to set up their interdisciplinary research networks in Europe and beyond. We provide funds for organising meetings, workshops, training schools, short scientific exchanges, conference grants and other networking and dissemination activities across a wide range of scientific topics.
COST provides a unique way to jointly develop ideas and new initiatives across all science and technology fields, including social sciences and humanities. As a European intergovernmental framework, since its creation in 1971, it has been helping to bring together researchers and stakeholders from public and private institutions, NGOs, industry, SMEs, as well as policy-makers, across Europe and beyond, thereby playing a very important role in building the European Research Area (ERA).
By anticipating and complementing the activities of other EU framework programmes, COST acts as a bridge to the less-supported research communities in some COST Members defined as Inclusiveness Target Countries (ITCs). It also enhances the mobility of researchers across Europe and fosters scientific excellence.
EMPOWER-PAWR – Empowering transatlantic Platforms for Adavnced Wireless Platforms
EMPOWER (H2020 project) supports collaboration and accelerates joint development between EU and USA on advanced wireless experimental research, targeting the new connectivity frontiers beyond 5G. PAWR (Platforms for Advanced Wireless Research) is a US-based Beyond 5G Research consortium funded by the National Science Foundation and the PAWR Industry Consortium, which brings together 28 of the nation¹s leading companies and associations in wireless.
The booth demonstrates the relevant activities in US developed by PAWR nodes and EMPOWER activities aiming to foster cooperation on Advanced Wireless platforms. The booth disseminates the results of the different activities and liaises key persons in EU & USA to start a track record of collaborations and to discuss possible joint activities and evolution of the wireless platforms at both sides of the Atlantic towards beyond 5G technologies.
The demos showcase an end to end fully programmable open source 5G system running in a large scale outdoor test platform in USA, demonstrating:
- Experiment lifecycle on PAWR platforms; POWDER & COSMOS.
- X2 handover using emulated UE, OAI eNodeB with O-RAN API extensions, controlled by a RAN controller running in a containerized EPC instance.
- Instantiate an ONAP instance for configuring policy decisions in an intercontinental slice between US & EU platforms.
5GMF – The Fifth Generation Mobile Communications Promotion Forum
The Fifth Generation Mobile Communications Promotion Forum (5GMF) was founded on 30 September 2014 in Japan. 5GMF has been conducting activities on research and development concerning 5G including the standardization thereof, along with liaison and coordination with related organizations, the collection of information, and the dissemination and enlightenment of these activities.
Towards 5G realization by 2020 in Japan, these activities will contribute to the sound development of the 5G eco-society in Japan. 5GMF is a member of the multi-lateral MoU with 5G Forum, 5G Americas, 5G Brazil, IMT-2020 and 5G-IA that support Global 5G Event. In the booth, 5GMF would like to introduce recent activities toward 5G Realization in Japan. Especially, achievements of 5G Field Trials in Japan will be reported by using slides and videos.
5G PPP – 5G PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERSHIP
The 5G Public Private Partnership (5G PPP) has been initiated by the EU Commission and industry manufacturers, telecommunications operators, service providers, SMEs and researchers. The 5G PPP will deliver solutions, architectures, technologies and standards for the ubiquitous next generation communication infrastructures of the coming decade.
The objective of the exhibition booth is to increase the visibility of 5G PPP among everyone working on 5G. It will provide overview information on the PPP overall as well as summary information of individual projects in current Phases 2 and 3. This will help visitors to find out what projects are working on and how to get in touch with them.
5G PPP SME
European SMEs players have a great added value in providing innovative concepts and solutions with an important impact in the 5G value chain and adoption of 5G by vertical industries. SMEs have the agility and flexibility required in a fast evolving technical and market landscape. They increasingly collaborate with larger industrial companies and research organisations to develop leading 5G solutions for the global market. The dynamism of SMEs is an essential feature for a competitive European society. The flexibility, eagerness and drive for innovation, that so many European SMEs possess, are essential for the development of our lives. Networld2020, the European Technology Platform that collects the efforts of all entities interested in telecommunications and associated technologies, is proud to count 350+ SMEs inside its constituency. These SMEs have made large contributions to the overall research in Europe and have shown many success examples on how to bring these innovations into commercial exploitation. Visit our booth to meet some of our SMEs: Associazione PIIU, Citypassenger, DigitalTwin Technology, EANTC, Integrasys, Internet Institute, interinnov, Lionix International, Martel Innovate, Nextworks, Nurogames, Seven Solutions, Ubitech, Vertical M2M, Visiona, West Aquila and WINGS ICT Solutions.
EU 5G Cross Border Corridor Projects
European mobility is drastically changing: growing urbanisation, environmental aspects, and road safety are key concerns. Road infrastructure and vehicles are becoming constantly connected, automated and intelligent, delivering optimal experience to passengers, and addressing societal goals (e.g., emission and accident reduction) and economic needs (e.g., vehicles as smart-living environments). There is a need to explore connected European transnational mobility along main transport corridors. Pre-commercial deployment of 5G is required on a large-scale before market roll out in the years to come. The projects 5G-CARMEN, 5GCroCo and 5G-MOBIX contribute to the EU 5G Action Plan to set Europe as technology leader on the path towards commercial deployment of 5G.
This will lead to a faster deployment phase of European highways in line with the EC’s CEF programme. The three projects address the need to validate 5G technologies to enable cooperative, connected and automated mobility (CCAM) along cross border corridors in Europe. The projects will conduct 5G cross-border trials and will deploy a mixture of 5G micro- and macro-cells for ubiquitous C-V2X connectivity. The projects will use a distributed mobile edge cloud spanning from the vehicle to the centralized cloud. Multi-tenancy and neutral host concepts will be mobilized to deliver a final platform capable of enabling new business models. The projects will also assist and provide recommendations for regulators.
5G-DRIVE – EU-China 5G Joint Trials and Research Collaboration
The Horizon 2020 project 5G-DRIVE: 5G HarmoniseD Research and TrIals for serVice Evolution between EU and China (2018-2021) will trial and validate the interoperability between EU & China 5G networks operating at 3.5 GHz bands for enhanced Mobile Broadband (eMBB) and 3.5 & 5.9 GHz bands for V2X scenarios. The 5G-DRIVE consortium is pleased to bring to EuCNC 2019 in its booth:
- An animated video that tells the story of 5G-DRIVE
- A video demo on V2X activities ongoing at the trial site in Espoo (Finland)
- Posters summarising highlights and most interesting results from its public Deliverables on 1) eMBB development and test plan; and 2) V2X development and test plan – with QR code for downloading eversions
- Video demo from University of Surrey’s 5G Innovation Centre (5GIC) on eMBB
- full 3D holograms in real-time (see and touch the holograms from all angles that mix into the real world via augmented reality (AR) glasses)
- 4K 360-degree live streaming service powered by the multi-access edge computing technology: 4K-quality live streaming without experiencing buffering, hence creating a seamless “out-of-body experience” via virtual reality (VR) goggles – seeing themselves from up above
- Video demo from VTT on V2X: shows the Espoo V2X trial site environment dedicated for the intersection and Green Light Optimized Speed Advisory (GLOSA) trials. Automated “Marilyn” car is driving is connected to the traffic light with low latency ITS G5 and cellular LTE connectivity. Marilyn driving commands are adapted according to actual traffic light status. The scenario is extended to share and process the data partly remotely and partly in vehicle side in future.
5GCAR – 5G Communication Automotive Research and innovation
Some final results from the 5GCAR project will be demonstrated. Background on key performance indicators, use cases and their requirements. Learnings from the studies on V2X business and spectrum aspects. Highlight of promising V2X cellular and sidelink technology components as well as V2X architecture findings, together with pre-demonstration work and dissemination activities. To illustrate the ongoing demonstration work, a pre-demonstration video is showcased.
The demo consists of some high-level posters as well as more detailed public reports (known as deliverables) on the results from the 5GCAR project. Flyers and Brochures will be provided to convey a summary of the overall project objectives and goals. The pre-demonstration video is also showcased and explained.
ZTE has deployed a 5G network based on SA architecture in Valencia, Spain which is the first 5G SA network in Europe. Moreover, this network will be the information foundation during the whole EVENT period. ZTE and local partners will jointly demonstrate cutting-edge vertical applications based on it.
UPV – Universitat Politècnica de València
The Universitat Politècnica de València (UPV) is the only technological university in Spain to feature in all the world university rankings. The UPV offers undergraduate degrees, dual degrees, masters and more than 1,800 lifelong learning courses. In terms of science and technology, the UPV is among the universities with the highest revenue from competitive research: from R&D contracts, consulting and service delivery to technology licenses and start-ups. It is also the national leader in patent exploitation.
The UPV booth at EuCNC 2019 shows the capabilities of 5G Standalone networks, with a live demonstration of remote machine control. The visitor can experience how the movements of his arms are reproduced with no apparent latency by a robot, using only a camera and the 5G connectivity provided by Orange and ZTE equipment. This demo has been set up at the VLC-5G-Campus by the Institutes Ai2 and iTEAM of the UPV.
VLC-5G-CAMPUS is aimed to be the first open-air 5G Standalone test-bed, to support research projects, innovation and testing of new 5G services and equipment, as well as promoting Valencia to become a full 5G city in 2020. The test-bed is developed along the 65 hectares of the UPV campus in Valencia, and in cooperation with the Generalitat Valenciana, IDI FEDER 2018/030.
Orange, global operator that has become the second one in the Spanish market with a mobile network managing the greatest number of customers: 24.6 million of customers, 14.1 million in its 4G network, wants to lead the 5G race, exploring the new territories in order to anticipate its customers’ needs. So, Orange is testing the 5G technology with different vendors and architectures, as well as establishing strategic alliances with partners that look at 5G as an opportunity to digitalize and enlarge their businesses. Valencia is a good example, where Orange and ZTE have stepping up the pace by making the first 5G call, voice and data, with a Stand Alone 5G network. And that network is being used to show, during 2019 Global 5G Event and EuCNC, different applications of the new technology so that we can catch a glimpse of the disruptions it will bring to our lives.
Orange, as Diamond sponsor of the events, enables its 5G Network and makes it possible to carry out different demonstrations that highlight the enormous potential of the new technology, the main ones:
- #handlingARobotWith5G: one of the potential applications of 5G technology to the development of Industry 4.0: will be the handling of industrial robots. We’ll be able to see a robot imitating the movements of the person who handles it without any delay thanks to the low latency of 5G.
- #vehicleConnected5G: It will be demonstrated how it is perfectly possible to drive a vehicle remotely using images in high resolution transmitted between the vehicle and the remote driver through the 5G network. The ultra low latency will do the rest.
- #LiveLasFallas5G: You will have an immersive experience by means of the transmission of 4K images in real time (live content) and their reception at the Conference Center using the Orange 5G network, which guarantees the correct viewing of contents in high resolution. Besides, you will be able to enjoy last Fallas, recorded in 8K in collaboration with Visyon and Prensa Ibérica, as an example of what 5G network will bring us.
H2020 ORCA – Orchestration and Reconfiguration Architecture
At EuCNC 2019 we plan to showcase the potential of state-of-the-art software defined radio (SDR) platforms for fast prototyping of 5G and beyond 5G wireless solutions. The main target of the ORCA project is to enable end-to-end networking experiments involving real-time SDR dealing with very diverse QoS requirements (in terms of throughput, data volumes, latency, response time, reliability, availability, etc.) sharing the same wireless technologies, infrastructures and/or spectral bands. To this end ORCA offers open mature, real-time and versatile SDR platforms in several wireless test facilities, supporting heterogeneous technologies and advanced control mechanisms that can cope with extreme (ultra-low latency, ultra-high throughput, ultra-high reliability) and diverging (low AND high data rate, time-critical AND non-time critical) communication needs. We plan to show three demos addressing very different technologies ranging from open source Wi-Fi in unlicensed spectrum bands to LTE and mmWave technologies in licensed bands. We will show that experimentation with SDR is not more difficult than doing simulations or using commercial off-the-shelf wireless devices.
MATILDA – Enabling vertical industries to take advantage of 5G technologies
The vision of MATILDA is to design and implement a holistic 5G end-to-end services operational framework tackling the lifecycle of design, development and orchestration of 5G-ready applications and 5G network services over programmable infrastructure. It aims to devise and realize a radical shift in the development of software for 5G-ready cloud-native applications as well as cloud-native virtual network functions and network services, through the adoption of a unified programmability model, the definition of proper abstractions and the creation of an open development environment that may be used by application as well as network functions developers. Intelligent and unified orchestration and network slice management mechanisms are applied for the automated placement of the 5G-ready applications and the creation and maintenance of the required application-aware network slices. MATILDA demonstration will showcase the use of Vertical Application Orchestrator (VAO), OSS and OSM/NFV capabilities supported by the MATILDA framework to build and run two distinctive industrial vertical applications, from Media (5GPACE) and Public Safety (5G PPDR) domain.
5G-TRANSFORMER and 5G-CORAL
This exhibition shows demos from 2 projects that are collaborating in multi-domain, multi-provider orchestration of services and resources in cloud, edge and fog environments:
- 5G-TRANSFORMER aims to transform today’s mobile transport network into an SDN/NFV-based Mobile Transport and Computing Platform (MTP), which brings the “Network Slicing” paradigm into mobile transport networks by provisioning and managing MTP slices tailored to the specific needs of vertical industries.
- 5G-CORAL leverages on the pervasiveness of edge and fog computing in the RAN to create a unique opportunity for access convergence. An integrated and virtualised networking and computing solution where virtualised functions, context-aware services, and user and third-party applications are blended together will offer enhanced connectivity and better quality of experience.
5G-TRANSFORMER platform will show several Proofs of Concept (PoCs) based on vertical-oriented use cases:
- Automotive: to deploy and manage the EVS (road safety application) application on edge cloud.
- Entertainment: provision of a high definition content distribution service with very low latency and service creation time. Virtual appliances are dynamically deployed, allowing the streaming service provider to deploy different components in edge clouds close to the user.
- MNO/MVNO to prove the deployment of 3 network slices: echographer (URLLC), video (eMBB) and IoT devices (mMTC).
5G-CORAL proves next generation of 5G Extreme Edge concepts, composed of different tiers of Fog, MEC and Cloud, focusing results on SMEs:
- An infrastructure to deploy Point of Service applications.
- Publish/subscribe mechanisms applied to the vehicular scenario, for the fast distribution of emergency information.
InterDigital demonstrating – Remote robotic control and actuation based on adaptive 360⁰ video technology involving simultaneously two 5G slices (eMBB and URLLC) over an automated and distributed edge.
ONE5G is a European project which aims at providing technical investigations and recommendations beyond 3GPP Release 15, moving “5G” to “5G advanced” by: a) delivering advanced link enhancements including efficient multi-service access schemes, advanced massive MIMO enablers and link management; b) researching and proposing highly generic performance optimization schemes for 5G for both the network operator and the E2E user-experienced performance and; c) by proposing reasonable technical solutions both for high revenue areas and for more economically challenging deployments (e.g. in scarcely populated remote areas).
ONE5G has a set of prototyping activities (Proof-of-Concepts) covering: a) both dense and scarcely populated areas; b) a set of relevant verticals (e.g. smart city, factory of the future, automotive and agricultural applications); c) the main 5G service categories (eMBB, URLLC and mMTC) and; d) a selected set of technological components being proposed and investigated by the partners.
Part of the PoCs being developed in the project will be demonstrated in this booth. The demo will showcase the project advancements in topics including: a) wirelessly controlled production lines in industrial environments; b) service aggregation of eMBB (5G NR RAT) and mMTC (NB-IoT) traffic in both megacity and undeserved areas; c) machine learning based adaptive nonlinear receive filtering of NOMA in megacity areas; d) ad-hoc deployment of vertical services on edge cloud in underserved areas; and e) video feeds from real trials of cloud robot and tele-operated driving scenarios.
The demonstration aims at showing the feasibility and the superiority of the different ONE5G components and demonstrating the relevance of technical components for the different verticals.
5G-PICTURE – 5G Programmable Infrastructure Converging disaggregated neTwork and compUte REsources
The objective of this exhibition is to demonstrate some of the technologies the project 5G-PICTURE develops to support the different vertical use cases considered in the project (Stadium, Smart City and Railway). Wireless, optical and packet network solutions will be showcased, delving into the concepts of hardware programmability and network softwarisation to facilitate the Dis-Aggregated RAN (DA-RAN) approach.
The following demos will be showcased:
- We will show the integration the dynamic packet switching & optical transport node (TSON) concept developed within 5G-PICTURE and the optical disaggregation approach fostered by METRO-HAUL, into a dynamic transport network, whose configuration is fully automated by an SDN control-plane. The demo is completely based on devices developed within the two projects and leverage on open source software for devices and network control. (joint 5G-PICTURE and METRO-HAUL demo)
- We will show the implementation of flexible functional splits as VNFs orchestrated and automatically deployed by the 5G-PICTURE OS and the impact of heterogeneous wireless (Wi-Fi and millimetre wave) transport.
- We will demonstrate a Point-to-Multipoint deployment of millimetre wave nodes making use of beam steering capabilities (Smart City demo).
- We will demonstrate how connectivity services involving virtual access points and forwarding through a multi-hop wireless backhaul can be dynamically set up. (Stadium demo)
- We will demonstrate an FPGA-based time sensitive networking implementation with P4 programmability for converging fronthaul traffic and enabling synchronization in timing accurate networks.
- We will show two complex network functions, i.e. load balancing and handover management, implemented in hardware using FlowBlaze, just by writing an XL program. (Rail Demo)
- We will demonstrate Pishahang: an NFV orchestration framework that supports multi-version services by chaining network functions across OpenStack and Kubernetes domains.
METRO-HAUL has designed and built smart optical metro infrastructure able to support traffic originating from heterogeneous 5G access networks, addressing the anticipated capacity increase and its specific characteristics, e.g., mobility, low latency, and low jitter. This infrastructure will also support a wide variety of services and use cases with particular emphasis on services from various industries vertical to the ICT.
Our goals are being achieved by architecting new access-facing and core-facing nodes, complete with storage and compute facilities, interconnected by novel, spectrally efficient, and adaptive optical transmission networks. Advanced concepts, such as hardware disaggregation and virtualisation, will assist in hitting challenging cost targets while enabling automation and programmability – all supported by a purpose-designed SDN-based control plane which interfaces with client applications, intelligently catering for the varied range of 5G KPIs.
METRO-HAUL has coordinated the disparate elements of transmission, switching, networking, compute, and storage, orchestrating dynamic solutions for multiple 5G applications.
SliceNet – End-to-End Cognitive Network Slicing and Slice Management Framework in Virtualised Multi-Domain, Multi-Tenant 5G Networks
SliceNet meets the requirements from the management and control planes of network slicing across multiple administrative domains, facilitating 5G adoption by vertical industries, and managing the QoE for slice services.
SliceNet will showcase cognitive network slicing management capabilities in various vertical use cases:
- The Smart Grid demo features ML model creation through TensorFlow framework and using a Dense Neural Network (DNN) algorithm, ML model deployment, and ML model execution for RAN slice failure prediction in an execution environment.
- The Smart City demo integrates work from SliceNet and MATILDA projects to show inter-slice resources conflict mitigation, by onboarding an application in a Marketplace, deploying 2 slices and providing an ML model to monitor slice-level metrics, predict service-level degradation, and locate its source.
- The eHealth demo shows eMBB slice composition and onboarding and how MEC with hardware acceleration can assist in collection, processing and streaming of patient data through an ML-based MEC App, as well as support of dynamic SDN mobility management, and a novel plug & play execution environment for network slices customisation.
With the increase in number of devices and data, burdens are increasing on mobile networks, especially with the limited spectrum available. Even with 5G, optimization of resource utilization will continue to be a major challenge, to maximize resource utilization; hence, optimize users experience. The MUSCLES project specifically targets this challenge, by developing an optimization solution for resource utilization, in current LTE and forward compatible with future 5G networks, built on the concept of self-organizing networks (SONs) and densification using small cells. The project aims at specifically decreasing the high operational costs (OPEX) related to network management and optimization. Three demos will showcase the achievements of MUSCLES: i) An intelligent SON optimization tool that can dynamically and proactively manage and utilize spectral resources effectively. ii) A design tool to automate and facilitate the design of FWA networks, based on hybrid fiber-wireless architecture, where the wireless portion is typically implemented using mm-wave frequencies. iii) Finally, the project shows a virtual TV solution, able to deliver feed in any existing adaptive streaming format.
The main objective of 5G-PERFECTA is to develop a 5G performance compliance testing assurance solution that calculates KPI (Key Performance Indicators) to show the real behavior of 5G network and services. The technological challenge is to develop the technology to assure the 5G service quality based on data processing. For this purpose, a series of innovation activities are proposed to establish a reference architecture for supervising 5G networks by means of monitoring devices that allow measuring 5G performance indicators in order to evaluate the real performance of 5G networks.
Besides, In MONALIS project, we have developed techniques and tools for QoE (Quality of Experience) evaluation of the overall customer satisfaction in large-scale media distribution architectures, as well as measurement platforms making data available from all levels around MONALIS integrated ecosystem, which has been brought to the European market in terms of different components.
FRONT-VL -From Empowerment to Viable Living
FRONT-VL will focus on smart and efficient technical solutions to increase possibilities for the elderly to live at home without being dependent on children or in-home care.
By enabling elderly people to live at home – either independently or assisted – for as long as possible, a good quality of life can be maintained while at the same time drastically reducing care costs.
Based on four use cases I) Rehabilitation, II) Fall Prevention, III) Mental Health and IV) Palliative Care, end-user services will be defined and developed to support the end-user with ICT relevant to all stakeholders. This supports the analysis and interpretation of data of individuals and also on a big scale. The use of state-of-the-art machine learning and big data analysis methodologies, together with a profound IoT based data acquisition, will allow the development of sophisticated predictive health related services. FRONT-VL will ensure highest standards of privacy and data ownership of the individual.
The consortium behind FRONT-VL is composed of organizations with long experience in the relevant competence areas needed to realize highly effective end-to-end products which benefit the growing market and societal needs in this area for the coming decades.
E3 allow Everybody’s (rural & urban areas, patients & professionals) access to E-health services Everywhere (low-cost high-quality video conference reusing in-home infrastructures) main achievements:
- 1st Brain anatomy course coupled to an awake live surgery allowed 250 future surgeons get access to better training by attending simultaneously to this live experience vs 3-5 in an operating room
- 1st 3D Telesurgery transmission of both ENT (Ears, Nose & Throat) & Heart Surgery
- 1st Simultaneous 2D & 3D Robotic & Endoscopic Surgeries
- 2D endoscopic surgery & robotic simulation
- +30.000 viewers from 91 countries attended the 4th European Laryngological Live Surgery Broadcast session
- HEVC proposed medical test video sequences ACCEPTED for the MPEG video test set for the development of Video Coding Standards.
- Medical Usage Acceptability of Video compression thresholds based on subjective tests
- Reduced the minimum bandwidth connection needed to 0,5-1Mbps allowing low bandwidth connected areas to use E3 Videoconferencing services
- Summarize & index the visual information allowing Professionals to have a quick summary of the recorded sessions as well as to navigate and discover information inside a video
- Awarded “eVIA INNOVA Bronze Award” 2015
VIRTUOSE -Virtualized Video Services
The main goal of VIRTUOSE project is to develop video services utilizing virtualization techniques. With the use of virtualization techniques, we can develop services, which are scalable and secure, and can easily be deployed to different computing platforms. This enables the partners to leverage their services in new markets, and offer cost-efficient solutions. The VIRTUOSE project focuses on four use cases / work areas, which have been recognized to benefit the most from virtualization technologies: cloud gaming, multiparty video communications, video transcoding & distribution, and video analytics. All of these virtualized video services share common problems and require a common knowledge base to solve them.
The aim of Health^5G project is to identify and support novel use cases where the application of next-generation mobile technology capabilities, such as low latency, reliability, performance and flexibility, will lead to novel features improving the quality of eHealth services. At the end of the project, high-impact and industry-driven use cases will be selected for demonstrating the future possibilities enabled by 5G. So far, we have identified three potential eHealth scenarios: healthcare at home, hospital environment and emergency situations.
Health^5G envisions a health monitoring system enabled by 5G-based heterogeneous networks by having various integrated wireless radio and cloud technologies, protocol designs, standards and semantics. In order to support the overall vision, the project will 1) develop the 5G network and service enablers required for meeting the connectivity and processing requirements of the target applications, 2) integrate the networking solutions and applications as well as tackling any interoperability issues and 3) validate the solutions in real 5G test networks and end-user environments.
The aim of FU5ION is to develop a combined access and in-home network architecture that supports fifth generation services. FU5ION focuses on customer service requirements through specification of cost efficient architecture and protocols to support the widespread roll-out of services backhauled over the fixed network.
H-OPTO aims at establishing best practices and create new knowledge about optical networks, with focus on cost reduction and quality. Up to today research efforts on optics have gone towards increasing the bitrates and developing new optical components. Less research has gone in the direction of optical access networks and the costs of their deployment, operation and maintenance. The rate of fibre deployment is very sensitive to these costs. In addition, the uncertainty associated with the cost of deploying a large scale optical fibre network and even more so, the costs associated with operating and maintaining such a network is prohibitive when it comes to making investment decisions.
ReICOvAir – Reliable Industrial Communication Over the Air
Replacing wired connections with radios and providing reliable over the air connections for advanced manufacturing and processing systems is a key requirement of Industry 4.0. With such connections, more flexibility in the deployment of machinery can be attained allowing data connections for formerly unreachable spots with an overall reduction of installation costs. Presently, systems targeting these needs are being development by the wireless industry. Prior to its use in industries, accurate testing is essential to prove the capabilities of these systems. In this context, the Celtic-Plus project ReICOvair aims at developing testing solutions suitable for industrial communications. Using measurements from the industrial floor, ReICOvair’s solutions model the propagation and interference conditions in industries accurately thereby enabling the necessary conditions for validation of industrial wireless systems.
RELIANCE – REsiLIent ANd scalable sliCing over multiplE domains
RELIANCE extends the 5G network architecture with new functionalities needed for multi-service and multi-domain management, with the related abstractions, interfaces, and mechanisms to support needed resilience, security, and scalability. In particular, RELIANCE aims to conduct research activities on the concept of federated network slicing to compose end-to-end services that span across different technical and administrative domains.
The architectural work of the project is driven by the diverse needs and requirements stemming from vertical industries (e.g., automotive, industry 4.0, enhanced multimedia broadband, train control & management, and public protection & disaster relief). The RELIANCE framework will be implemented and validated on selected use-cases through proof-of-concepts, aiming at demonstrating the envisioned benefits of the RELIANCE framework.
WINS@HI project proposes an innovative solution meant to improve safety, operation management, and manufacturing environments and evaluate work accident risks more accurately. For this purpose, different kinds of Internet-of-Things (IoT) sensors, such as wearable devices, that capture maximum amount of data from work environment and vital parameters of work safety are exploited and integrated in the project’s pilots.
The WINS@HI solution focus on waste management industry and underground transportation as the main application fields. The solution is tested, validated and demonstrated in two pilot locations. Several types of sensors are deployed, and data collected are processed with the aim to mitigate the human health risks. Therefore, we demonstrate that WINS@HI solution is suitable to cover different working environments and is designed to reduce human health risks:
- Acute risk – require immediate action, needs sensors capable of identifying specific threshold values and a system capable of offering solutions (waste management pilot);
- Chronic risks – need actions to mitigate long term exposure to air pollution (underground transportation pilot).
UNICRINF -UNIversal CRItical INFrastructures
UNICRINF is a project that seeks to support the emergency services in the first moments immediately after a natural disaster or emergency has happened. Chaos and loss of communications are very common in these situations. With this in mind, the main objective of this project is to build an emergency agnostic network (VANET or MANET), which uses available mobile devices as nodes in the disaster area. These nodes can be mobile phones, or cars equipped with Internet access. Also backbone communications will be checked and solved if apply. Thus, communication with the victims and between the emergency services will be possible. The booth will be used by great part of partners (pending confirmation its participation) and the idea is use Posters, videos, triptychs and ppt presentation with live explanation. Additionally, a live demo (Tuesday 18th June, Valencia’s Port) will be done as following (tentative). Some gadgets will be show: NB-IoT Semapore, check point operator, antenna, etc.
INTERNET INSTITUTE Ltd.
“The world of high quality communications.”
INTERNET INSTITUTE Ltd. (ININ) is an innovation intensive SME, specialized in 5G performance and quality metrics development and validation, 5G testing, benchmarking and end-to-end validation, and quality monitoring and SLA assurance for orchestrated 5G infrastructures and services. Also, we are experienced in design, deployment and operation of reliable and resilient 5G infrastructures for public safety and critical communications sectors.
We address telco, corporate and vertical industrial sectors with our quality MONitoring (gMON) portfolio for performance monitoring and SLA assurance, benchmarking and end-to-end validation of communication infrastructures and services. In addition, we specialise in on-site critical communications, smart sensing and intervention monitoring services with our intervention MONitoring (iMON) and remote MONitoring (rMON) portfolios, customised for critical communications, public safety and critical infrastructures. In addition, we’ve recently launched PPDR One (5gsafety.net), a one-of-a-kind 5G and NFV ready experimentation facility that facilitates hands-on experimenting with stationary and portable 5G deployments for public safety and critical communications sectors.
The core idea of CRITISEC is to develop novel security products, services and standards for edge networks in critical infrastructures, where the edge networks are a heterogeneous set of networks connected to the edge of a core production network. These services will make it possible to connect edge networks to control systems in a secure and robust way, and to secure the edge network itself when it is the critical infrastructure that requires protection (e.g. the 5G network).
IETF standardization (ACE and OSCORE protocols):
- CRITISEC partners are contributing to international standardization of security protocols at the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
- Focus on security mechanisms for embedded devices that are typically used in critical infrastructure, providing secure communication and access control in these environments.
HALI – Improving Cybersecurity with Traffic Signal Pre-emption
- Open product for authorities and companies
- The vehicle with Galileo/GPS positioning request preemption before upcoming crossroad
- Using mostly existing hardware, only improved software
- Scalable for large geographical areas
- Secured connection between vehicles, server and traffic lights
The H2020 project TERRANOVA envisions to extend the fibre-optic systems’ Quality of Experience to wireless links by exploiting frequencies above 275 GHz.
The hardware and algorithmic innovations from TERRANOVA are used within the project to implement two proof-of-concept demonstrators, namely a High-Capacity and a Beamforming demonstrator.
At EUCNC, TERRANOVA shows the world’s first real-time 100 Gb/s THz wireless communication link using a single 300 GHz carrier. The THz link will be embedded in a 100 Gb/s fibre-based backhaul link of a state-of-the-art Next Generation Optical Access Network (XGS-PON), thus demonstrating the “Wireless fibre extender” application scenario, which is considered a key application for TERRANOVA. This scenario is especially interesting, when it is intended to provide reliable data communication with very high data throughputs for distances up to 1 km on adverse geographies, such as lakes, rivers and dams, or even on environments, where civil work construction is not allowed due to physical and/or regulatory constraints. Currently, rural users suffer low-connectivity problems, but in the future they will have an opportunity to enjoy high data rates. The TERRANOVA wireless fibre extender has low-complexity setup, high flexibility and low total cost of ownership when compared to the fibre deployment, which makes it appropriate for this type of applications.
ICT Beyond 5G Cluster (B5G)
The “ICT Beyond 5G Cluster” is a joint effort from the projects funded in EU H2020 call ICT-09-2017 “Networking research beyond 5G” to share information among themselves and collaborate in the dissemination of their results. The cluster members are:
- H2020 DREAM – D-band Radio solution Enabling up to 100 Gbps reconfigurable Approach for Meshed beyond 5G networks (http://www.h2020-dream.eu/)
- H2020 EPIC – Enabling Practical Wireless Tb/s Communications with Next Generation Channel Coding (https://epic-h2020.eu)
- H2020 TERAPOD – Terahertz based Ultra High Bandwidth Wireless Access Networks (http://terapod-project.eu/)
- H2020 TERRANOVA – Terabit/s Wireless Connectivity by TeraHertz innovative technologies to deliver Optical Network Quality of Experience in Systems beyond 5G (https://ict-terranova.eu)
- H2020 ULTRAWAVE – Ultra Capacity Wireless Layer beyond 100 GHz based on Millimeter-wave Travelling Wave Tubes (http://ultrawave2020.eu)
- H2020 WORTECS – Wireless Optical/Radio TErabit CommunicationS (https://wortecs.eurestools.eu)
- THOR – TeraHertz end-to-end wireless systems supporting ultra high data Rate applications (https://thorproject.eu). Funded in a different call, THOR is a joint EU-Japan project incorporated to the cluster due to the close alignment of the topics.
5G-RANGE – Remote area Access Network for 5th Generation
Nowadays, the main research efforts on 5G networks aim for improving the data rate, reduce latency and increase the number of connections. Besides these efforts, one important scenario is not being intensively researched, which is the coverage in remote and rural areas. The main goal of the 5G-RANGE project is to conceive and implement a 5G operation mode that can provide reliable Internet access in remote areas, with significant social and economic impacts. 5G-RANGE will provide the telecommunications infrastructure to allow those living in low populate areas to have reliable Internet access. This solution will also support the agribusiness automation, allowing for using IoT for improving farms productions in the so-called smart farms. Other applications, such as road coverage and high-speed train connections, will benefit from the wide coverage provided by 5G-RANGE. The 5G-RANGE PHY must overcome several challenges. Cognitive radio techniques shall be employed to reduce operational costs. Hence, the waveform must have low out-of-band emissions and spectrum flexibility to support dynamic frequency allocation. The waveform also must achieve high spectrum efficiency under a double-dispersive channel with long delay profile. Finally, state-of-the-art channel codes and MIMO schemes must be used to provide robustness for large cell coverage. The main aim of this demonstration is to show the preliminary results achieved by the 5G-RANGE Project in terms of the PHY for Remote Area Applications. The transceiver is entirely implemented in hardware and is able to operate in real-time at high data rates. We will demonstrate that the conceived PHY layer is able to achieve very low out-of-band emissions, which allows spectrum agility by just turning off subcarriers in undesired spectrum bands. The system robustness is assured by a flexible Polar Code, which can be configured to operate at different code rates and by a MIMO diversity scheme to enhance robustness.
The SEMIoTICS platform delivers an NFV Infrastructure for Industrial Applications with the following layers:
- A Virtualized Backend Layer with a local cloud, based on OpenStack and OSM. These will host VNFs related to smart actuation, monitoring, and data analytics. An OpenHab service will also visualize sensor values and alerts.
- Virtualized IoT Gateway Layer based on an Odroid C2 minicomputer, that can host Field layer VFNs.
- Field layer BLE sensors (temperature, humidity, vibration and light intensity) and actuators (smart lights).
We will demo the following scenarios:
- A Server Environment Monitoring System, where SEMIoTICS local embedded intelligence will help detect anomalous conditions. Alerts will indicate abnormally high vibrations at an Odroid MC1 mini Rack due to cooling fan failures, or critical environmental conditions that could indicate HVAC failures.
- vEPC and backend slices as services, SEMIoTICS’ backend infrastructure is leveraged for orchestrating the core network components of LTE (vEPC) employing a Day-0 VNF configuration approach using Cloud-Init. Such deployment will help upload metrics from wind turbines via LTE to a monitoring application hosted in a backend slice. Administrators then will be able to check the blades’ rotation speed and/or alerts via a GUI provided by Grafana.
5G-PHOS and blueSPACE
This exhibition shows a joint demo from two projects, blueSPACE and 5G-PHOS, in the area of infrastructure for 5G networks that join forces here to showcase the hardware required to develop efficient A-RoF optical fronthaul networks. At the booth, blueSPACE and 5G-PHOS describe their progress and advances towards the hardware required in the end-to-end communication, including highly performance optical transmission technologies, mm-wave antennas with directional beams and BaseBand units for A-RoF communications. The hardware is presented in a live demo on the end-to-end technologies required to implement high-capacity and high-density fronthaul links for 5G mm-wave networks. The projects demonstrate the downlink communication of up to 400MHz OFDM mm-wave signals, i.e., waveforms compatible with the specs foreseen by 3GPP, transmitted through a pair of 60GHz directional antennas with 10o beam width and a multi-core fiber using analog radio-over-fiber transport techniques, aiming to show a viable path towards unprecedented end-to-end user capacities for next generation 5G fiber-wireless networks. The demonstration showcases analog fronthaul as a key candidate to serve future mm-wave 5G communications and proves the feasibility of analog transport of large bandwidth radio signals for mm-wave 5G NR with fully centralized signal generation and processing, combining the blueSPACE analog radio-over-fiber BBU with the mm-wave radio technology of 5G PHOS.
The demo takes place at the joint booth of the two projects between Monday, June 17th 2019, 14:00 and Thursday, June 20th 2019, 18:00.
The EPIC consortium will demonstrate its substantial progress in tackling the ultra-high throughput FEC challenge. The main target of the demo is to exhibit practical ultra-high throughput FEC solutions in FPGA platforms, whereby demonstrating feasibility of the developed FEC solutions for wireless Tb/s data-rates. FPGA implementation is widely accepted as a credible approach for the verification and validation of the complex algorithms and architectures in FEC and other digital design blocks. Therefore, EPIC’s FPGA demonstrations will serve and be presented as an important framework to be leveraged in the ASIC design for the consumer-grade implementation of these technologies. It is believed that the outcome of the demo will be an important contribution for practical wireless Tb/s and broader THz technologies, therefore adding momentum into the design and development of these fields.
The EPIC consortium is going to perform; i- 100 Gb/s end-to-end FPGA demonstration of length-1024 polar codes, ii- LDPC-CC Window decoder with length-102400 on Xilinx VCU128 Evaluation Kit and Virtex UltraScale+ FPGA platforms, respectively. The outputs of the demo are real-time throughput and latency measurements of polar and LDPC encoders/decoders and communication performance plots.
5G-MiEdge – Millimeter-wave Edge cloud as an enabler for 5G ecosystem
The 5G-MiEdge project aims to exploit the benefits of combining mmWave technology, Multi-Access Edge Computing, Liquid RAN control-plane and a user/application centric orchestration.
With this demonstration we highlight the promising fusion of these technologies. It consists of one controller, three backhaul nodes and one UE. The nodes are connected in a redundant mmWave mesh network and offer application access to the UE via mmWave and sub 6 GHz. In addition to this basic functionality, we show failover mechanisms in case of link-failure caused e.g. by blockage and demonstrate a reliable user experience.
IoRL: Internet of Radio Light
Wireless networks in buildings suffer from congestion, interference, security and safety concerns, restricted propagation and poor in-door location accuracy. The Internet of Radio-Light (IoRL) project develops a safer, more secure, customizable and intelligent building network that reliably delivers increased throughput (>10G bps within a building) from access points pervasively located within buildings with latencies of <1ms, whilst minimizing interference and harmful EM exposure and providing location accuracy of < 10cm. It thereby solves problem of broadband wireless access in buildings and promotes establishment of global standard in ITU. Building landlords will be incentivized to find funding to realize this solution for their properties to increase their value resulting in a stimulated market for broadband networking products in buildings, benefiting society and stimulating the world Gross Domestic Product. IoRL project has developed a proof of concept portable demonstrator, which acts as the basis for standardization of a global solution exploiting the broadband capacities of VLC, mmWave, the flexibility of NFV/SDN technologies and the accessibility of the existing electric light access points. It shows how an industrial redesigned radio-light solution can be integrated into existing electric light consumer products to become a universal Electromagnetic access point in rooms within buildings.
The objective of the demonstration is to present the principle of operation of the main concepts of the IoRL architecture to vertical industries in particular to Building Design Consultants and Electro-Mechanical designers in civil engineering companies , Electric Lighting Systems Manufacturers, road, rail and air transport industries, manufacturing and warehouse industries, healthcare industries, Consumer Electronics and Computer Communication Network Manufacturers and Software Services Industry.
The integration of “C2S3H – CiberSeguridad VLC” in “NONWATIO Technology Solutions” is much more than a sum: it’s a multiplication.
In the current situation in which no company or public body, independently of their size, is free of cyber attacks, data losses or any other information damage, we multiply the capacity of their systems to face, actively and proactively, these threats, by offering the advantages of a Management Centralized Console and support 24/7.
Our clients get the best protection and vigilance of their systems because we incorporate exclusive technologies like AppGuard and LinkGuard, so that the devices “IoT” of our clients will be hidden and highly protected.
“NW CYBER” is the service which differences the “before and after” in the cyber security services, the tranquility of entrusting it to expert hands.
CASFID Group is a global tech-service provider specialized in the events sector. It focuses its activities in the use of RFID technologies applied to diverse scopes. The goal of this is to provide security, to optimize process and to improve the anttendant’s experience.
CASFID offers its technological know-how to event promoters and planners so they can create a unique experience for their audience to enjoy. The technology of CASFID Group is put to work through different business divisions depending on the target client. The brands that make up CASFID Group are the following: IDASFEST (music festivals, concerts and other leisure events), IDCongress (professional events and MICE sector), IDSports (sports events, venues and clubs), IDCars (automotive sector) and Enterticket (global ticketing).
Abrebox revolutionizes the area of the automatic door openers, eliminating the traditional telephones of the houses and replacing them with an intelligent Video Intercom System that links the street panel of each property with the smartphones and tablets of their owners, tenants and authorized, using IOT-based wireless technology and contributing to the users:
- Increased security: Allows you to simulate presence at home 24 hours a day, takes automatic photographs of all visitors and records all the entry movements that occur in the property.
- Increase in comfort: Allows responding and opening to visitors from anywhere through smartphones and tablets, opening doors without the need for keys and granting temporary opening permits for vacation rentals.
- Savings: Abrebox is installed in an average of 2 hours, regardless of the number of users, allowing a cost savings of between 50 and 80% compared to a traditional system.
Tyris Software is a technological company expert in customized solutions of Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Big Data and Business Intelligence.
It is composed on three strategic lines.
– Technological laboratory, where highly innovative custom projects are developed on mobile platforms, web and Smart tv.
– Machine Learning for industry, where Artificial Intelligence techniques are applied to optimize industrial projects.
– Business Intelligence specialized in dashboards powered through a layer of intelligence on business data.
Our solutions are customized using the latest technologies on the market. We make tailor-made developments accompanying and guiding our clients to successfully achieve their goals.
Our methodology of continuous evolution is being applied in projects for industry, business, logistics, retail, … with clients such as LaligaSports, Michelin, Sacyr, Coca-Cola or Universitat Politècnica de València.
Tyris software has been recognized with different awards nationally (UPV, Ayuntamiento de Valencia, Sacyr) and internationally (Startups Europe Awards).