Empowering Transatlantic Platforms for Advance Wireless Research
Tuesday, 18 June 2019, 8:30 -13:00/16:15-18:00, room R6
- Serge Fdida (Sorbonne University & CNRS, France)
- Abhimanyu (Manu) Gosain (IEEE SM, USA)
- Arturo Azcorra(University Carlos III of Madrid, Spain)
- Didier Bourse (Nokia, France)
- Antonio de la Oliva (University Carlos III of Madrid, Spain)
- Jaime Garcia-Reinoso (University Carlos III of Madrid, Spain)
Motivation and Background
The European Commission has created the CSA EMPOWER in order to foster the collaboration between Europe and USA on Advance Wireless Platforms, which include ICT-17 End-to-End 5G platforms and NSF PAWR projects. The overarching aim of EMPOWER is to reinforce the cooperation between the EU and the US towards establishing a collaborative transatlantic community on the new connectivity frontiers beyond 5G with the ambition to accelerate the joint development of the associated advanced wireless platforms. EMPOWER follows and builds on the recurrent dialogue between the EU and the US regarding collaboration for Advanced Wireless Platforms as presented in the “Report from the EU/US Future Networks Workshop”, dated November 11, 2017.
EMPOWER targets the creation of a joint EU-US advanced Wireless ecosystem for (i) bridging the relevant EU-US Wireless communities and stakeholders, such as scientific researchers, platform engineers, standardization experts, regulators, and product incubators; and (ii) developing a strategic EU-US collaboration agenda and supporting its execution ahead of worldwide competition for beyond 5G connectivity standards, based on common EU-US roadmaps spanning advances in scientific knowledge, platforms and testbeds, standards and
This workshop objective is to put in contact key persons on Europe and USA to start a track record of collaborations and to discuss posible joint activities and evolution of the wireless platforms at both sides of the Atlantic towards beyond 5G technologies. The workshop will be mainly driven by ICT-17 and NSF PAWR representatives, although projects planning to use the Wireless platforms, such as ICT-19 winning consortiums and projects with already established experience on collaboration with USA such as 5GinFire, will also be invited.
Web page: https://www.advancedwireless.eu/index.php/event/eucnc-workshop/
The projects sponsoring this event are: EMPOWER+PAWR and at a second level 5G-EVE, 5G-VINNI and 5GENESIS
8:30 – 9:15 Session 1: Opening
– Challenges for developing future test platforms to support research in digital infrastructures, Serge Fdida, Sorbonne Université, France
– Introduction to PAWR, Abhimanyu Gosain, Technical Program Director of PAWR Office,Northeastern University College of Engineering
– The EU/USA collaboration programme by Thyaga Nandagopal, NSF
– EU/USA Collaboration, Bernard Barani, European Commission
9:15 – 10:30 Session 2: E2E System view
Round table focused on exploring E2E system level. The big question would be how to set-up an E2E open reference architecture. This might be a concern of mutual interest for Europe and USA as it goes beyond the wireless specific hardware components and target the issue related to the E2E architecture that should be encountered by most projects.
We will discuss among others, the role of Open Source for experimentation, production and infrastructures:
– Radio platforms: use of OAI/O-RAN or other platforms for the developing of the RAN in an open reference platform.
– Core platforms: possible use of ONF/OMEC or other platforms for the development of the Core part of the open reference platform.
– The need of an NFV open framework to provide a relevant test framework and toolset to perform tests.
11:00 – 12:00 Session 3: Wireless challenges for the future
This session includes a talk of a renowned scientist on challenges for Beyond 5G wireless Technologies, followed by a round table.
– Talk: Technical Challenges in future Wireless Technologies, the EMPOWER Technology Roadmap by Alain Mourad (IDCC)
– Round Table: Round table of representatives of ICT-17, NSF PAWR projects and other stakeholders. Active discussion on the future of the platforms and their technology evolution is expected.
12:00 – 13:00 Session 4: ICT-17 Platforms
This session will allow ICT-17 platforms to present their main characteristics and features:
– 5G-EVE: 5G European Validation platform for Extensive trails, Mauro Boldi, Telecom Italia.
– 5G-VINNI: An open large scale 5G end-to-end facility for KPI validation and verticals use case piloting, Pål Grønsund
– 5GENESIS: An Open 5G Experimental Facility for Testing, KPI Validation and Showcasing,Harilaos Koumaras, NCSR “Demokritos”.
13:00 – 14:00 Lunch
14:00 – 15:45 Session 5: Joint session with 5G Global Event (Session 5), Cross regional Projects
16:15 – 18:30 Session 6: ICT-17/ICT-19 — dialogue with verticals
– Short presentation of 5Growth, 5G-Tours, 5G-Solutions and 5G-HEART (5G!Drones to be confirmed) on the vertical scenarios to be addressed and their technological requirements.
– Presentations from:
The 5GINFIRE Platform – A facility for end-to-end 5G experimentation, Halid Hrasnica, Eurescom GmbH
EuWireless: Design of the European Mobile Network Operator for Research, Pedro Merino,University of Malaga.
– Open discussion on how to best address the vertical experimentation and requirements.