Advances in OpenRAN and the Neutral Host Paradigm
Nikolaos Tsampieris, ERTICO ITS Europe (Belgium), Greig Paul, University of Strathclyde (United Kingdom
Thursday, 10 June 2021, 09:30-11:00, Zoom Room
- Angelos Goulianos (Satellite Applications Catapult, United Kingdom)
- Nikolaos Tsampieris ERTICO ITS Europe (Belgium)
- Greig Paul (University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom)
Empowered by principles of intelligence and openness, the O-RAN architecture is the foundation for building the virtualized RAN on open hardware and cloud, with embedded AI-powered radio control. Inspired by the O-RAN alliance, the OpenRAN infrastructure combined with increasing RAN virtualization and data-driven intelligence, will allow complexity reduction, faster innovation and significant reduction on deployment and operational cost.
A major benefit of OpenRAN infrastructure is the capability of serving multiple operators using multiple VNFs sitting side-by-side on the same platform to have segregated networks. The other benefit is network function sharing through software developments. The so-called Neutral Hosting (NH) platforms can significantly reduce operational and capital expenses, as well as increase coverage and capacity in dense urban and rural environments. However, such solutions come with challenges and practicalities that require resolution before they can widely be adopted.
This session brings together experts from the industry and academia, highlighting real -world use cases and deployments, along with the operational and business challenges, as well as the steps to be taken towards the wider adoption of OpenRAN and NH platforms. More specifically, this special session will:
• Provide information on the numerous opportunities and use cases embraced by the OpenRAN framework
• Update on the status of O-RAN alliance status, standardization activities vision
• Highlight the experiences, results and lessons learnt from successful OpenRAN deployments
• AI artifacts and AI trust in OpenRAN
• Promote the 5G Neutral host services, focusing on relevant deployment strategies and challenges.
• Provide techno-economic analysis and pectrum management strategies for Neutral Host deployments.
• Practicalities SatCom integartion into OpenRAN
|Topic||Speaker’s Name||Speaker’s Organization|
|Session Introduction||Angelos Goulianos||Satellite Applications Catapult, UK|
|An Operator View on the ORAN for 5G and Beyond System||Mauro Boldi||Telecom Italia (TIM), Italy|
|Planning, Challenges, and Deployment of an OpenRAN Based 5G Testbed||Ralph Dümmler||Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits (IIS), Germany|
|Trust for AI-Powered Management Mechanisms in Open Infrastructures||Aspa Skalidi||Wings ICT solutions, Greece|
|Neutral Hosting as a Rural Mobile Network Solution||Greig Paul||University of Strathclyde, UK|
|Spectrum Policy and the Impact on Rural Areas – Why is More Not Being Done and is NH the Answer?||Dave Happy||Telint, UK|
|Techno-Economic Analysis for Neutral Host Deployments||Xavier Priem||Eurescom GmbH, Germany|