Telecommunications and microelectronics: How should Europe (re)-act?
Tuesday, 7 June 2022, 14:00.15:30/16:00-17:30, Room C238
- Alexandros Kaloxylos (6G Smart Networks and Services Industry Association (6G-IA))
Motivation and Background
The COREnect project is bringing together the most prominent European industrial and academia players as well as industry associations in the network, microelectronics, and verticals domains to jointly develop a high-level strategic roadmap of core subsystem and component technologies for supporting future connectivity. The goal is to establish a sustainable European technology sovereignty in 5th Generation (5G) and beyond, promote innovation and business opportunities e.g., for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), pave the way for one or more future European champions in this area, and lay a solid foundation for the long-term success of both industries.
Based on the initially identified COREnect end-to-end system view with a value chain consideration, COREnect has organised three Expert Groups (EGs) to address the three strategic focus areas within the industry roadmap:
- Expert Group #1 Compute and Store
- Expert Group #2 Connect and Communicate
- Expert Group #3 Sense and Power
The purpose of this workshop is to present the key findings of these EGs (i.e., a roadmap on how Europe should (re)act in this area) at a broad ICT audience. Moreover, after 2 years of intensive activities COREnect’s recommendations will be presented. The feasibility of these recommendations will be discussed in a panel of leading experts in the area.
As the EuCNC conference is major event that attracts all key European stakeholders, it offers a unique opportunity to disseminate these findings as the results of COREnect, but also allow the exchange of ideas and opinions from the participants from the telecommunications’ sector. Towards this end, the scheduled panel will also operate as an interactive event with the participants.
Duration – Half day (2 sessions of 1h 40′ each)
- Key findings of the expert groups – Expert Groups Chairs: Gerhard Fettweis, Frederic Gianesello, Manuela Neyer – (60′ + 10′ Q&A) • White Paper, Fredrik Tillman – (20′ + 10′ Q&A)
- COREnect’s view on how Europe should (re)-act, Yaning Zou, Frederic Gianesello, Jacques Magen- (30′ + 10′ Q&A)
- Panel: What is needed to implement the Roadmap? – (40′ + 20′ Q&A)
Moderator: Gerhard Fettweis
Panelists: Achouche Mohand – Nokia
de Dinechin Benoît, Kalray
Ekelund Björn – Ericsson AB
Gianesello Frederic, STMicroelectronics
Heiss Heiner – Infineon
Müller Andreas – Bosch & 5G-ACIA