2nd Edition of the 5GPPP Workshop on 5G PHY/MAC Layers Design and Hardware Aspects Below and Above 6 GHz
- Monday, 12 June 2017 (room to be defined)
- Gerhard Wunder (Heinrich Hertz Institute, Germany )
Motivation and Background
The air interfaces for 2G, 3G, and 4G were all designed for specific use cases (limited only to voice and data communications) with a certain number of limited KPIs in mind (throughput, capacity, dropped/blocked call rates, etc.). However, 5G requires the support of a much broader class of services and consequently a very diverse family of devices and traffic characteristics. The scope of this workshop is to present the major conclusions and results of the FANTASTIC-5G, SPEED-5G and Flex5GWare projects on the design of the new 5G air interface. This will specifically include the findings regarding 5G new waveforms, flexible air interface for the 5G vertical market, coexistence issues, flexible and adaptive novel MAC design, and a much more dynamic management of the available spectrum resources and advanced sensing techniques. In addition, the workshop will present enabling technology solutions for massive machine-type communication, ultra-reliable communications as well as mobile broadband with FDD and TDD providing 7-10x higher spectral efficiency over LTE 4x4! Eventually, the workshop will highlight implementation issues of the new 5G air interface for bands below and above 6 GHz, which will pose stringent requirements on the hardware platforms. For this reason, an important topic in this workshop is related to new concepts and solutions for highly performant, energy efficient and flexible hardware (both analogue and digital) in 5G networks.
The workshop shall include
• 1-2 keynotes and invited speeches from the European industry and academia (outside 5GPPP)
• Technical paper presentations (oral and/or poster presentation, depending on the number of submissions)
• Panel discussion (members from industry and academia mainly outside 5GPPP to initiate controversial discussions)
• Potentially demonstrators (e.g. in the form of software visualization of 5G RAN design concepts). There will be an interaction with the booth presence of the organizing projects.