5G Test Network Finland and Finnish Open Innovation Ecosystem – Digitalisation Enabled by 5G, Cyber Security, Analytics and IoT
- Monday, 12 June 2017 (room to be defined)
Mika Klemettinen (TEKES, Finland)
Motivation and Background
5G, Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data and analytics are key drivers in the 4th industrial revolution that spreads across different industries. In the digital era the only constant thing is change. One needs to be agile in order to survive. One needs to see the world differently in order to win.
Digital playground is very heterogeneous with multiple opportunities in new technologies and business models, but many of them are not standardized or interoperable. Currently, the winning solutions, platforms and products come primarily from USA and from large global companies.
In order to be competitive, Europe needs to take a holistic and open approach to the platform economy. The related digital innovation environment consists of a number of enabling technologies (e.g. 5G, cyber security, data/analytics and IoT) that form a platform capable of serving different business verticals. Making the innovations to influence our future, also proper actions in supporting funding, taxation, regulation/deregulation, etc. are needed.
Finland has a multitude of open ecosystems and testbeds that together with the vibrant startup community enable new innovations. In the connectivity area, 5G Test Network Finland (5GTNF, www.5gtnf.fi) is the most advanced open 5G test network in the world with more than 50 partners. Uniquely, the three largest manufacturers Nokia, Ericsson and Huawei collaborate within 5GTNF.
5thGear programme involves the whole Finnish wireless communications community involving all academic and research institutions as well as more than 50 companies out of which many are SMEs. This workshop gathers the key players of this community, in collaboration with the other key digital initiatives in Finland related to IoT, cyber security and analytics, to showcase Finnish R&D&I activities in the 5G area.
The workshop focuses on the following topics:
- The Finnish open innovation ecosystem
- 5G Test Network Finland and its test networks
- Joint 5GTNF initiative
- TAKE-5 test network
- 5GTN+ test network
- WIVE test network
- CORNET test network
- Supportive 5G research projects
- Key IoT, cyber security and analytics areas collaboration highlights, including SuperIoT (www.superiot.fi) and Analytics+ (www.analytics.plus) industrial ecosystems
Presentations (without papers) will be per invitation and include roughly the following:
- Opening of the workshop by TEKES
- Presentations from each 5G test network
- Views from
- large telco manufacturers (Nokia, Ericsson, Huawei),
- IoT industry (Haltian, Nordic Semiconductor, etc.), and
- SMEs and startups
- Presentations from research organizations (Aalto, Tampere University of Technology, University of Oulu, Univesrity of Helsinki, VTT, etc.)
Some demos showcasing innovative products from Finnish wireless industry will be given during the break and at the end of the workshop.
TEKES will also invite and sponsor a selected group of mainly SME representatives to join sauna & dinner organized by CWC in the evening.